Fun Things to Do in Des Moines This Summer
Local, warm-weather activities for the whole family
Enjoy the outdoors, fresh food, and handmade goods from local vendors.
- Downtown – Saturdays from 7:00am – 12:00pm
- Valley Junction – Thursdays from 4:00 – 8:00pm
- Norwalk – Mondays from 4:00 – 7:00pm
GROWTH GROUP S’MORES NIGHT
Got a backyard fit for a campfire? Or space for some board (or lawn) games? Invite your growth group over for a bonfire night. Few things taste as sweet as fellowship – but s’mores are pretty great, too.
SCRIPTURE + A CUP OF JOE
Des Moines is in no shortage of unique coffee shops to pop into. Grab your Bible and maybe one of our recommended books at one of these locations:
- Lightbrite – Grimes
- Mars Café – Des Moines
- Horizon Line – Des Moines
- Smokey Row – Several locations
- Mahalos – West Des Moines and Norwalk
FUN IN THE SUN
After Sunday service, gather friends and head to one of the many nature parks in the Des Moines area:
- Pappajohn Sculpture Park – cool art installations and plenty of spots for picnicking
- Ledges State Park – group or solo hiking, camping, and experiencing God’s creation
- Raccoon River Park – swimming, boating, kayaking, and canoeing
- Sleepy Hollow Sports Park – go-karts, mini golf, bumper boats, laser tag, and more
Who doesn’t want to enjoy fresh air and hot dogs while watching a game of America’s favorite pastime? Our local Iowa Cubs will be playing baseball at Principal Park throughout the summer. Check out the game schedule!
SERVE WITH YOUR GROWTH GROUP
It’s important to remember the needs of others in our community. Recruit your growth group for volunteering at a local service opportunity. We recommend:
- Friendship Center – Ministries and education programming serving kids, youth, and adults
- Central Iowa Shelter – Providing shelter and additional support for the homeless
- Grounds Projects at Soteria – Soteria extends a helping hand for whatever needs may arise
- Alpha Women’s Center – Christ-centered support for expectant mothers and women
- Food Bank of Iowa – Supplying and packing food to hungry families
- Ruth Harbor Ministries – Faith-based coaching and home for mothers or expectant mothers
KIDS’ VBS: KidsQuest
Sign your kids up for Soteria’s upcoming VBS KidsQuest. This is a great opportunity for spiritual growth in your children’s lives – not to mention fun in the outdoors, playing and making friends.
Don’t forget: VBS is June 6 – 9!
MATILDA AT DES MOINES COMMUNITY PLAYHOUSE
See a production of Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical performed by John Viars Theatre at Des Moines’ very own Community Playhouse from July 8 – 24.
- Wednesdays through Saturdays – 7:30pm
- Sundays – 2:00pm
Take your children to enjoy the fresh air and get in some good playtime at one of these nearby playgrounds:
- Variety Star Playground at Riverview Park
- Rotary Riverwalk Park Playground
- Woodland Hills Park Playgrounds
- Margo Frankel Woods State Park
IOWA STATE FAIR
Go to the state fair! We recommend you thoroughly vet the lineup for music and entertainment at the many free stages, first, but there’s plenty to do as a family – including the Little Hands on the Farm interactive agriculture exhibit!
Open for business August 11 – 21, 2022.