Foster care is an opportunity to take care of children who have been removed from their parents by DHS because of neglect or abuse. The goal of foster care is reunification first. If reunification fails, the case then goes to adoption.
In Central Iowa, the licensing agency to become a foster parent is Four Oaks. It usually takes about six to nine months to complete the licensing process.
International adoption or somewhere closer to home? How will I afford it? What is a home study? Adoption comes with many questions, and we are here to help. Get started by finding an agency.
Get the Help You Need
FAMilies, thank you for all you do in caring for vulnerable children. We want to support and encourage you as you walk this journey of obedience in faith. Please use these resources as you need them.
Breakfast With the FAM
Once a quarter we get together for food and fellowship. Contact us at 515.285.1829 to learn about our upcoming meetups.
Reach out to this group of individuals who have graciously signed up to help with needs as they arise. Give them the opportunity to bless you by asking for assistance. Simply call 515.285.1829.
This is a closet filled with essential items that are available for any family that is currently fostering or has adopted. To visit the closet, fill out the form at the link below.
Support Foster & Adoptive Families
Interested in becoming a part of the Volunteer Army? Sign up to be notified as needs arise in our community.
Would you like to donate to the FAM Closet? View the list of items we can or cannot accept below and drop them off outside the closet.
GENERAL CLOSET NEEDS
- New shoes
- New socks
- New underwear/new sports bras
- New pillows
- Toiletries (new only)
- Tampons/maxi pads
- Body wash
- Hair ties
- New burp cloths
- New baby bibs
- New baby bottles 4 or 8 oz
- New pacifiers (all sizes)
- New sippy cups
- New stuffed animals (limited space)
- New baby board books (limited space)
- New baby toys (limited space)
- Diapers (all sizes newborn to size 6 in complete packages)
- Pull-Ups in complete packages
- Baby wipes
- Diaper rash cream (new in package)
- New or very gently used clothing—newborn to young adult
- New or gently used winter coats and gear
- New or gently used blankets/sheets (twin size only)
- New or gently used infant carrier with at least 18 months left before expiration
- New or gently used car seats with at least 2 years before expiration
- New or gently used Pack and Plays (no older than 10 years)
- New or gently used high chair
- New or gently used baby blankets
- New or gently used strollers (single or double)
- New or gently used diaper bags
- New or gently used cribs/mattresses
- New or gently used backpacks or duffle bags
- Gift cards (Target, Walmart, Fareway, Hy-Vee) in $25, $50, or larger amounts
- Used shoes
- Used socks
- Used underwear/bras
- Used winter boots
- Used pillows
- Partially used toiletry items
- Used toys, books or stuffed animals
- Used burp cloths
- Used bibs
- Used baby bottles or sippy cups
- For all gently used items, please nothing that is ripped, worn, stained, or cracked
We love to see the items you have donated going out to help encourage families that care for kids coming from hard places. As we see things going out to be used, we have a need to replace them. Would you consider donating one of the items in the current needs list?
- Diapers – sizes 4, 5, & 6
- Pull Ups – small and large for boys and girls
- 2–3 convertible rear to forward facing car seats
- 2–3 high back booster seats with 5 point harness
- 2–3 high back booster seats without 5 point harness
- 1–2 infant carrier with base
- Toddler toothbrushes
- Toddler toothpaste
- Little girls socks sizes 4–7
- Little boys socks sizes 4–7
- Men’s socks
- Women’s socks
- New shoes sizes toddler–adult
- Larger blankets for preteen and teenage boys and girls
- Gift cards to Target, Walmart, Hy-Vee, and Fareway